Wednesday 19 November 2014

Task 5c and 5d: Reflection about Ethical Considerations on Professional Inquiry

                Professional ethics have been a constant discussed theme during our course. Each Module, Reader and Task the concept of ethics have been brought and how should be applied and reflected during our activities. For the research process and development of our inquiry, ethical issues are extremely important. Reading through Reader 5 made me re-think on important considerations I should take when developing my inquiry.

                The Figure 2 from Reader 5 which shows the arenas of professional practice and their connection, I believe should be a constant reminder that we should have during our career. The personal ethics is linked with the professional code, which can vary according to the place, and this one is linked with the employer expectation which can also vary. There is a moral and basic ethics we should always have, not just as a professional (and what it is a basic ethics is a very long discussion), however codes and expectations may vary according to the place of work which show the limits and considerations we should take once we sign a contract or have a duty with the chosen place. This situation can be also brought on the inquiry plan: in the case I do a research with a special group from an institution, or an interview or an activity I will have to take in consideration the codes from the place, employer and community.

                When applying ethical considerations on my professional inquiry, I believe certain responsibilities should take special considerations. This is due the fact that even if I am careful, by distraction I can miss one of these conducts: To ensure that the data collected is accurate, relevant and valid ; to ensure that the data is suitably stored and archived and that attention is paid to issues of confidentiality; to manage resources efficiently, such as finances, time and I intellectual property; and to provide feedback of the results of the research to the participants, or at least the intended use of the results, including any intention to publish. For my inquiry, I plan to make consent forms for the ones I interview and make sure that the ones involved are totally clear on what my inquiry is about and give a proper feedback. Also, I had ideas on watching classes, rehearsals and even planning “research/experience groups” and for these, special considerations will have to be taken for permission (to watch , to use the space, to maybe photograph/record), confidentiality, professional codes and employer expectations as I referred above.

                On the section “Power of researcher” from Reader 5, an important fact was brought and I believe is one more issue I will have to be careful about when planning my inquiry: How my status or opinion can influence on the attitude of my inquiry and maybe affect the accuracy of my findings. During the development of my project, I don’t believe my status as a researcher/dancer/student might affect my findings; however I will try to take different opinions and arguments and share different perspectives from the chosen discussion. As my inquiry will work on the section of artistic development (how creativity stimulus might support artistic development) different experiences from different professionals might be shared and I will try to take those in consideration.


                Ethical considerations will be constantly part of the research process for the development of our inquiries. As the Ethical forms are filled in and the discussions with my SIGS groups continue, more situations might come and have to be discussed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment